Thanks for visiting!

www.citybytheseaceramics.com




Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Hand lotions for potters

Clay is incredibly hard on hands, drying them up to the point of cracking. Most potters I know that have major dryness problems with their hands have the biggest issue with their fingertips cracking. Thankfully mine are okay, this sounds very painful. I do have problems with the back of my hands cracking though. In the summer it isn't as much of an issue, but the minute the heaters kick on and the cold settles in, my hands begin to crack, and each winter it seems worse than last. The heavy duty creams that once did the job beautifully don't cut it and I searched for options. Local potter Jeremy Ogusky recommended Bag Balm. It's pretty heavy duty stuff, but it still didn't help. Only a few minutes after the application my hands were back to the same dry mess.

This winter I've been using a combo of Neutrogena Norwegian Formula and Miracle of Aloe Miracle Hand Repair and it seems to be doing the job. I've been putting the Norwegian Formula on before I start working, a few times during, and right afterwards. I put on the Miracle Hand Repair lotion at night. I figure the aloe might help heal the skin. There is still dryness but it is minimal, and there are no bleeding cracks, so I'm satisfied. There was a article in one of the pottery magazines recently about various lotions to try, so if these two end up not doing the job I've got some other ones to look in to.

1 comment:

Cara Steinbuchel said...

Hi City by the Sea!
I am glad you have found something that works for your hands. It is quite a challenge to find the right thing. I am the creator of Potters' Skin Butter, a nongreasy natural lotion formulated specifically for potters. I have been making from scratch for the last 8 years. Potters in Asheville, NC and all over the country love it! I can share plenty of testimonials. I would love to send you a sample to see if it is something that might work for you and your potter friends this winter. Check out Cara Mae Skin Care on Facebook and my website www.CaraMaeSkinCare.com.
Best wishes!
Cara Steinbuchel