Thanks for visiting!

www.citybytheseaceramics.com




Friday, May 11, 2012

City by the Sea Ceramics! Moving! New Studio! OMG!


There's big news in my life coming soon, three weeks actually. I'm moving to North Grafton right next to Worcester and am super excited about it! Not only am I getting away from Boston (sorry Boston, but you're not the city for me), moving to a quiet town, saving money on rent, ridding myself of side and downstairs neighbors, being welcomed to my new town a week later by my favorite band, getting back a yard, going to be across the street from a bar with good beer, and going to get the best of both worlds living in a quiet town next to a busy city, but....

I'm getting my own studio!!!

I will be working at home in my own space, which is much roomier than the little nook pictured above I currently hold at The Potters Shop. I've worked there for just short of six years and it's where I really learned and grew as a potter. But, after that time I'm ready for changes and to move on, taking the next step towards the greater goal of having my own studio in a barn or garage of a home I will own someday. I'm not quite there yet, but this is a big step. Working out of home will be a challenge and an adjustment. I'm going to need to keep the place in immaculate condition to avoid clay dust. I'm going to be using rinse buckets instead of a sink with a trap on it. I'm going to have to transport my work for firing at The Fire Works. Things will be tricky. But good god, what do I get in return....

Well, first of all since I no longer will be working for The Potters Shop I will have more time on my own hands. Not having to work shifts for someone else is going to be huge and I'm really excited to have that time back. I have the luxury of working at home so when I'm having a lunch break I can do some laundry and watch some Wendy Williams (how YOU doin?). When I leave a tool, piece of work, or other item I know I will come back to it still intact, clean, and where I left it. I will be able to more closely monitor my work and it's drying. I can listen to my ipod dock at my preferred volume on my preferred music until the cows come home. There's sooooo much more.

I work for myself, 100% for myself. Three more weeks and it's mine.

2 comments:

riverdragon said...

Wow! This is so exciting! I just moved to Maine, and I get to turn a beautiful old barn into my very own studio - and it's attached to my house. So I'm also looking at the sort of adjustments you're talking about - no sink with a trap in it, how do I get my work fired, when am I off duty if my studio is at my house? But it's also super duper and wonderful! So congratulations!

City by the Sea Ceramics said...

Congrats to you too! I love Maine, a barn studio up there sounds amazing. We'll have to keep in touch about our studios since it sounds like we're in the same boat. Good luck!