Thanks for visiting!

www.citybytheseaceramics.com




Saturday, August 04, 2012

How to make tent and canopy weights


**Alright guys, real talk. Let me plead with you for a moment about the importance of weights at shows. If you already understand this importance perhaps you can pass this along to a friend who doubts the unpredictable power of mother nature. It is not only incredibly important but necessary to properly weight your canopy tent for all outdoor shows. It doesn't matter how still you expect it to be, weight your tent. I have seen very strong single gusts come out of nowhere at shows. It happens. Weather is unpredictable. To not prepare for this puts yourself and so much else at risk. The property and bodies of yourself, other vendors, shoppers, and organizers are all compromised if you choose to ignore the possibility of disaster. While this may seem dramatic I have seen too many tents grow wings out of nowhere, too many events that don't enforce their own tent weight rules, and worse yet, too many vendors with no weights or inadequate ones. 10 pounds on each leg isn't going to do anything when your tent is ready to fly. For the sanity and safety of everyone please properly weight your tent.** Thanks guys. I knew you'd understand. :D

8/16/12 update- THIS is what can happen with improperly or unweighted tents. Boooooo


I had been wanting to upgrade my tent weights for a while and was looking for something that was taller than it was short, like the weights I had been using. I worry about people not looking where they are going while passing by my booth and tripping over weights so I really wanted something taller than short and easy to move. These instructions I found seemed great so I used them as my design. 


The hardest part of this project is lugging the bags of concrete so it helps if you've got a strong friend to help you. I had help from the hardware store staff for both lifting the concrete in and out of my cart and cutting my PVC pipe for me. I opted for the flat plastic caps on the bottom of the weights so it can rest sturdily on the ground and be bungee corded to the tent legs and upper tent frame. I'm happy with my end result and and thinking of ways to try to disguise the weights a bit. I think I may get some fabric at some point to hang around my booth, but for the moment I'm satisfied with my upgrade.

2 comments:

Deb said...

This is great information for making weights for a canopy tent.

City by the Sea Ceramics said...

Thanks Deb, I'm glad I can pass along the info!